40

Friends and colleagues often ask me, "How do you find time to read?" The answer is simple: I just do. Reading is a part of my everyday life; it is my hobby; it's a habit. I would make time for reading if I had to.




There are a few easy rules to follow if you really want to make reading a part of your daily life:


  • Put reading on your daily schedule. I have to get up for work at a certain time. Laundry and housekeeping are a part of my morning routine. I eat lunch at a certain time, and I check my emails and social media sites at a certain time. I read every night before I go to bed. If you want to know where I'll be at 9:00 each night, just know that by then I'm in bed reading.
  • Turn off the television. When people tell me that they don't have time to read, I'll always reply by asking them if they watch television everyday. Sadly, the answer is always "yes". You can give up one hour of television each day and put your nose in a book. 
  • Read in a comfortable place. My favorite spot is reclining on the bed. I prop up three pillows behind my head and use another as my book prop. It's a great way to de-stress and feed my brain at the same time.
  • Find something that you like to read. Sounds silly doesn't it? I don't like to read boring books either; no one does. My favorite books are historical fiction and literary fiction. I've always got a "favorite" book on hand when I just need a little entertainment.
  • Subscribe to a magazine. There is nothing like money to motivate me. If I'm paying a magazine to be delivered to my house or my Kindle, you can believe that I'm going to read it. I spent good money on it, so I'm going to read it from cover to cover.
  • Step outside the pages~the pages of your preferred genre that is. I'm a fiction fan, but I know that informational text is what my brain needs to really get those synapsis snapping, so I subscribe to magazines and blogs that are outside my preferred genre: Mental Floss and BBC History Magazine are two that I'm currently subscribing to now. 
  • Use your social media sites as a place to find something to read. I follow different news sites and authors on Twitter, and I subscribe to different book related pages on Facebook. You can follow me on Twitter, and you can subscribe to my Facebook Page. I try to share any good books that I'm reading or any that I've put on my wish list. Another great site is GoodReads.
  • Turn off the radio or music sites. While listening to music might make cleaning the toilet more enjoyable, it will only distract you while trying to read. You need a quiet place to read and comprehend what you're reading.
  • Don't be afraid to tackle those classics that you were suppose to read in high school. Many of the best are available for free through Amazon.
  • Talk to people about the books that they're currently reading or have read. Some of my favorites were based on recommendations of others. If you have an Amazon account, you'll get recommendations from Amazon based on your purchases. I've found many good reads this way.
  • Do judge a book by the cover. If you like the title and the cover art, give it a try. I've chosen many a book based on the cover.
  • Just do it. I know it's a cliche, but it's true. Tune out and tune in to reading today. Your brain will thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Scout's Honor" by Avi

Back to School Bumper Sticker Activity and Printable

LSV: Writing Book Reviews Lesson Plan