The Mongoose Should Die

For twenty-three years I taught seventh grade English. When I first began teaching, I was handed the key to my classroom and a box of white chalk. I immediately went out and bought colored chalk. Rikki was with me the whole way. I loved his sweet disposition and protective nature towards Teddy. Along with my students, I cheered Rikki on when he chased Nagaina into the giant hole and came out alive.

But something soured along the way. I grew tired of Rikki and silently wished for his demise. You see, the story of the little Mongoose who could had been in every anthology that the school district bought. It was always in unit one and was the primary text for teaching conflict in literature. I simply grew tired of it.

Now, I teach sixth grade English and have yet to grow tired of any one particular story. I don't know if I will stay in sixth grade long enough to grow jaded on any story. Perhaps it was time to move on. Perhaps it was time to open a new anthology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Scout's Honor" by Avi

LSV: Writing Book Reviews Lesson Plan

Back to School Bumper Sticker Activity and Printable