A Teacher's Summer Reads

My name is Melissa, and I'm addicted to books.  I've always said that I have the greatest job on earth--I get to do what I love every day: read and write.



So what am I curling up with this summer? Here is my bucket list for this summer:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster child living outside of Munich in Nazi Germany.  She scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can't resist--books.  With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt is the author's memoir of growing up in the slums of Limerick, Ireland. From his alchoholic father, he learns the power of a good story.

The Paper Chase by John Jay Osborn, Jr. centers around Hart, a young law student from Minnesota who attends Harvard Law School and becomes obsessed with one of his professors and begins dating his daughter.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is a love story, sort of, about Jane and Mr. Rochester. Gradually, Jane's moral and spiritual sensibilities begin to unravel as their love grows.

Okay, so I've already read all of them except The Book Thief, but I'm the kind of reader who likes to read the same books over and over.

Enjoy your precious time off!
Melissa


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Scout's Honor" by Avi

Back to School Bumper Sticker Activity and Printable

LSV: Writing Book Reviews Lesson Plan