THE WHITE QUEEN (A REVIEW)

I've always devoured historical fiction. 
As a girl, I would read anything that was set in the past. I'm proud to say that I learned much of my history through fictionalized accounts of historical events.



I loved Victoria Holt novels and all of those hundreds of other novels that she wrote under different names. So, it's no surprise that I enjoy reading Phillippa Gregory's WHITE QUEEN series.

I've discovered a STARZ series based on her books of the same name on Amazon Prime.

Elizabeth Woodville is the widow of a Lancastrian Knight during the early part of England's King Edward  IV reign during the mid fifteenth century. She petitions King Edward for the return of her husband's lands for her two sons. Edward is smitten with the beautiful young widow. After Elizabeth turns away Edward's advances, he proposes marriage. They are secretly married with her mother as a witness.



Edwards cousin, the Earl of Warwick, is furious as he'd been arranging a marriage with the King of France's daughter. In retaliation, the Earl sets in motion a series of events in order to remove Edward from the throne.



If you watched the HBO series, The Tudors, then this series is for you. It is full of the same royal intrigue, betrayal, and lust that seemed to be so rampant during this time. The costumes are beautiful. The acting is superb. The storyline, while not completely accurate, is mesmerizing.

Now, I've only just begun the book series, but so far, I'm addicted. Phillippa Gregory is a masterful storyteller. She's the type of writer who I loved to read as I was growing up as an Army Brat. The series is a three part one, so you need to begin with the first one, THE LADY OF THE RIVER.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Scout's Honor" by Avi

Back to School Bumper Sticker Activity and Printable

LSV: Writing Book Reviews Lesson Plan