A good lesson plan and what makes poetry different lesson plan


What is it that makes a good lesson plan? First, there must be motivation. Get the kids ready for the lesson. I usually do this in two different ways: writing and reading (but not necessarily in that order). By writing, I mean that I might give them a prompt or specific task or ask specific questions related to the learning objective. Sometimes, I give them a topic and they have to tell me everything they know about that topic. Sometimes, the writing might be a worksheet related to the learning.

By reading, I mean that I might read aloud from a novel or a picture book or an article. The students might read something silently or with a partner.

Like I said, this is an “and/or” situation and not necessarily in this order.

Here is a condensed version of a motivation for a lesson called “What Makes Poetry Different?” First, I give the students five minutes to jot or free write a response to that exact question. I then have the students share these with a partner, small group, or large group. If we share large group, I might make an anchor chart for later reflection.

After writing, I would read a short poem aloud.

A Fine Head of Lettuce
by Jack Prelutsky

I’m a fine head of lettuce,
A handsome Romaine.
I haven’t a cranium
Made for a brain.

I’m simple and shy.
I remain on my own.
I’m known in the garden
As lettuce alone.

Then, the students would take time to discuss the poem:
  • Who is the speaker?
  • How many stanzas does this poem have?
  • How many lines are in each stanza?
  • What words rhyme in this poem?
  • Is there a pattern to the rhymes?
  • Poets like playing with words. What verbal joke do you find in the last line?

The students would then compare the poem to the following definition of Romaine lettuce:

“Romaine or cos lettuce is a variety of lettuce (Lactuca Sativa L. var. Longifolia) that grows in a tall head of sturdy leaves with firm ribs down their centers. Unlike most lettuces, it is tolerant of heat.”

The students would be given the time to analyze the two pieces of text to determine that one is funny and cute, but doesn’t tell the reader much about the topic, while the other gives factual information about the topic.

This motivational introduction is a fun way to hook students into getting ready to learn about poetry.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Scout's Honor" by Avi

Back to School Bumper Sticker Activity and Printable

LSV: Writing Book Reviews Lesson Plan