Questions vs. Answers (Revised)


Last year, I decided to do a class read of Boy: Tales of Childhood by Roald Dahl; but, I decided to go easy on myself and make it as painless as possible. All assessments would be formative and there would be no summative assessment over this sweet memoir by one of the most famous YA authors.

After reading the first two chapters, the students wrote five questions that might be on a book test for these two sections. But instead of me creating the questions for the students, I had them get together and create their own questions. 

The students had to use my basic format:

1. Define the meaning of _____.
2. Where was/were _____.
3. Name as many _____.
4. Describe in your own words _____.
5. What happened when _____.

I was very pleased with the results. These are just two of the formative assessments turned in to me.



I'm going to be working on this activity for my English Labs this year. I'm going to try to steer away from so many multiple-choice questions and do more extended response type questions.

Also, if you're going to be reading the Dr. Seuss classic And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, you might be interested in one of my writing prompts that complements the text.

Melissa Reese Etheridge





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Scout's Honor" by Avi

LSV: Writing Book Reviews Lesson Plan

Back to School Bumper Sticker Activity and Printable